Saturday, August 23, 2008

Top 10 Songs

10. Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard - Paul Simon
Last year: (8) My pick: (7)
From 1972 album Paul Simon
Heard in the movie Royal Tennenbaums during the scene when Royal and his grandchildren are causing a raucous.


9. Stir It Up - Bob Marley
Last year: (24) My pick: (15)
First composed by Marley in 1967 and first made popular by Johnny Nash in 1972. I first heard it on the Marley compilation album Legend.
Stir It Up can be heard in the recent movie I Am Legend.


8. Acadian Driftwood - The Band
Last year: (23) My pick: (8)
From the 1975 album Northern Lights/Southern Cross.
As with many of The Band's songs, there is a great historical theming to this track...the displacement of the Acadian people.


7. Over the Hills and Far Away - Led Zeppelin
Last year: (146) My pick: (22)
From the 1973 album Houses of the Holy.


6. This Time Tomorrow - Kinks
Last year: (N/A) My pick: (24)
From the 1970 album Lola Versus Powerman.
Recently featured in the movie Darjeeling Limited in a great slow motion train catching opening scene.


5. This Will Be Our Year - The Zombies
Last year: (2) My pick: (1)
On the great 1968 album Odessey and Oracle.
Pretty much only known from being on the Tiger Woods commercial on Father's Day a couple years ago...I can't find it anywhere though.


4. Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Last year: (14) My pick: (17)
From the 1993 album Facing Future, but he did a slightly different (not as good) version on his first solo album Ka'ano'i.
I first heard it at the end of 50 First Dates and was amazed.
It is still very sad that this tremendous talent died well before his musical prime.


3. Lone Palm - Jimmy Buffett
Last year: (4) My pick: (5)
From the Big Tom classic album, Fruitcakes.


2. Ballad of Curtis Loew - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Last year: (10) My pick: (3)
First released on 1974 album Second Helping.


1. The Weight - The Band
Last year: (1) My pick: (2)
Back to back championships for the song some might know as 'take a load of fannie.' Comes from the 1968 album Music From Big Pink, which is up there with Fruitcakes, Odessey and Oracle, Silk Degrees and Moondance as my five favorite albums.
Has been all over the place in movies and tv: The Big Chill, Easy Rider, Girl Interrupted, Patch Adams, Starsky and Hutch, The Sopranos, My Name Is Earl and an SNL skit.

No comments: